Musée des Émaux et de la Mosaïque de Briare
4, rue des Vergers
Walking to the Museum
9 minutes from Saint-Etienne Church in the center of Briare
2 km from the Briare aqueduct (Pont-Canal)
Driving to the Museum
1h50 from Paris on A77 and A6 (160 km)
1h30 from Bourges (85 km)
1h20 from Orléans (80 km)
Taking the train to the Museum
The Intercités train from Paris stops in Briare. The train station is a 5-minute walk from the Museum.
There are free parking facilities for cars and buses in front of the Museum as well as spaces for bikes near the Museum’s entrance.
For visitors with disability, dropoff and pickup are allowed in front of the Museum’s main entrance. The parking facilities also offer space for people with disabilities.
The Museum has an adult-sized manual wheelchair available at no charge and on a first-come, first-served basis. We also welcome your personal walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters.
Emaux de Briare manufactory shop, Adjacent to the Museum, the shop features the current productions of the manufactory, as well as mosaic kits and enamels by the pound for crafters and the like.
Two Navy’s Museum, 100 yards away from the Museum of Enamels and Mosaic, this beautiful museum features another part of the history of this little town of Briare, nested between river and canals.
Municipal Exhibition Center of Trousse-Barrière, 300 yards from the Museum, built by the Bapterosses family and decorated by Henri Harpignies, a French painter of the Barbizon school, the castle of Trousse-Barrière features many temporary exhibitions throughout the year.
St-Etienne church : 700 yards from the Museum, the church, designed by Dusserre, a former student of the famous French architect Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc, is fully decorated by the no less famous French artist Eugène Grasset (mosaics and stained glass).
Briare aqueduct, 1700 yards from the Museum, and 723,9 yards long, the reknown Briare aqueduct opened in 1896. Its metal bridge deck was built by Léonce-Abel Mazoyer, and its masonry bridge pillars erected by the famous Gustave Eiffel.
Château de La Bussière, 8 miles from Briare, built alongside a pond, the XIIIth century castle of La Bussière is a private residence refurbished several times, It presents a fishing collection as well as a 17th century park featuring Old-Time Vegetable Garden.
Château de Gien, 9 miles from Briare, the XVth century Château de Gien was built by Anne de France, Louis XI’s daughter. This castle now holds the Hunting Museum.
Gien earthenware, 9 miles from Briare is the Museum and manufactory shop of the Faïence de Gien, founded by an English man in 1821.
Château de Sully-sur-Loire, 20,5 miles from Briare, this impressive medieval castle was once the residence of Maximilien de Béthune, as known as Duke de Sully, Henri IV’s famous minister.
Fleury Abbey church, Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire, 26,5 miles from Briare stands this major masterpiece of the romanesque architecture (XI-XIIth).
Carolingian oratory of Germigny-des-Prés, 29,5 miles from Briare, the oratory of Germigny is one of the oldest churches in France. It was built in 806 by the abbot of Fleury, a close advisor of the king Charles the Bold, Its vaults are decorated by an exceptionnal set of mosaics with gold background.
Girodet-Trioson Museum, Montargis, 26 miles from Briare, this Museum is dedicated to the artworks of painter Anne-Louis Girodet-Trioson and of sculptor Henry de Triqueti. Flooded in 2016, it re-opened in 2018 after a major restoration.
Aubigny-sur-Nère, city of the Stuarts, 23 miles from Briare. During the Hundred-Year War, this town was granted by king Charles VII to John Stuart of Darnley, Grand Marshal of the Scottish army. Historically Scotland is, indeed, the first ally of France and their Auld Alliance is still celebrated in Aubigny.
Château de Guédelon, Saint-Sauveur-en-Puisaye, 26 miles from Briare, a medieval fortress is being built!